During world-building in Minecraft, the biggest hurdle for the players are materials of different kinds. That problem is easily solved by farming, which creative and advanced Minecraft players mostly do. Our Best Minecraft Farms guide has listed the top 24 farms you can build, no matter what kind of player you are.
- Farms are a crucial part of your base in Minecraft, they provide a constant supply of XP and raw materials.
- You can get raw materials by slaying the mobs you keep inside these farms and XP as a result of collecting those materials.
- You can have either a multi-mob farm for different raw materials or a mob-specific farm for farming particular items.
- They have to be regularly maintained and visited so that the mobs inside don’t overpopulate.
- Some farms can also be made in the Nether with mobs like Zombie Piglins, Endermen, Wither Skeleton, and/or Blazes.
- Of course, the larger the farm, the more mobs you can keep and therefore, the more XP and items you gain in a single go.
Best Minecraft Farms
By being a big sandbox with many options for crafting and building, Minecraft is a game with different types of players. Each player has their own unique outlook and style in which they prefer to design their world. Keeping that reason in mind, this list generalizes the best farms without being too specific. That said, we have linked some of the best Farm building videos along with complete guide links for each farm in our list.
Gaining XP is one of the most difficult tasks in Minecraft, especially for newbies. Leveling up allows one to unlock new skills and become more powerful. It is one of the most essential and basic things you have to do in the game. The best way to gain XP is by farming for it with Enderman.
- There are multiple methods of capturing Enderman. But the main way of doing it is basically the same in all the methods.
- All you need to do is lure the Enderman towards a trap, and then the trap will kill them.
- You can lure all of them simply by killing one of them once they start spawning, which will anger all the Enderman in the group.
Minecraft or not, everyone loves Gold, and in this game, there are tons of benefits that come with it. You can trade the gold with villagers for several cool things. Or you can use Gold for crafting different gold armor. Now we know that Gold is important, so let’s look at how to farm gold in the best way possible.
There are a number of Gold farms that you can try out in Minecraft, but there are two of them which work the best.
- Both versions involve creating a platform in the Nether and then having Zombified Piglen Spawns trapped.
- Once they are trapped, one farm will let you kill them, and the other will kill them automatically. So one of the farms is considered AFK whilst the other is not.
More Ideas From Exputer: Minecraft House Ideas
In Minecraft, not all farms are a good option to build when it comes to Creeper farms. Mainly, the Creeper Farms can be divided into two categories: the Creeper Only Farms and the second Charged Creeper Farms. Creeper Only farms are a much better option when compared to Charged Creeper Farms. Because when directly compared one requires a lot of work whilst the other doesn’t and they both give the same rewards.
You can build Creeper-only farms in multiple ways, but the best is by using the water steam method. Using the spawning platform, get the creepers and scare them using cats. Once they are scared, use the trapdoors to have them fall into the water stream, guiding them all the way down.
You can check out Shulkercraft’s take on a Creeper Farm in Minecraft.
Chicken farms produce many goods at very low costs and work. Unlike almost all the other animals in Minecraft, Chickens don’t require any work. Like Cows and Sheep, which require you to feed them and then get the goods. But when it comes to chickens, you don’t even need to feed them.
Triloms has put up a good Chicken Farm tutorial that you can follow to get your own.
So having a chicken Farm is a lot less work, and it produces a lot of useful goods like Cooked Chicken, Eggs, and Feathers. Cooked chicken restores almost the same health as all the other meats. Then on top of that, the Farm also produces eggs. They help in crafting some of the most delicious items in Minecraft.
There are tons of varieties to build when it comes to Chicken farms. But mainly there are going to be two types; one the chicken farm and second the egg farm. The main difference is that one does not produce any extra goods while the other does.
- The egg farm can only produce eggs and sometimes feathers.
- The Chicken Farm, on the other hand, produces all the goods that one can get from a Chicken Farm.
- Both farms work similarly by getting the chicken in a place and then collecting the eggs with a hooper.
- However, lava kills the mature chicken in the Chicken Farm, and hoppers then collect the Cooked Chicken.
Piglin Bartering Farm
Bartering is very useful in Minecraft to acquire all sorts of different items. If you don’t know what Bartering is, then it’s simply exchanging gold with random spawns with Piglin. If you have a gold farm or a lot of Gold, this farm is a must-have because Piglin drops items such as Enchanted Books with Soul Speed or Gravel.
- The farm is pretty simple to build in Minecraft; all you need to do is transfer the gold from the Gold farm to the Pigman farm.
- They will pick it up and drop a random item every time.
- It is worth noting that if you kill a Piglin to get the Gold back, it will not work because they confiscate the gold and do not drop anything unless you one-hit-kill them.
You could also drop by Shulkercraft’s tutorial and build his tried and tested Piglin Bartering Farm.
Hoglin farm is one of the most underrated farms in Minecraft. It lets you do so much as compared to some farms. A Hoglin drops raw pork chops, which, if cooked, are the same in saturation as steaks. On top of that, their nutritional value is also the same as a chicken. Other than that, you trade Leather and Raw Pork with villagers that come from this farm for Emeralds.
Hoglins spawn on Crimson Forest and are afraid of certain things in Minecraft. This farm creates a spawning point for Hoglins and then scares them with something to make them run into the lava placed at the edges. From beneath the lave, hoopers gather up all the loot for you. The farm works relatively simply and does wonders.
Stones are valuable in Minecraft, and they come in handy with a lot of different objectives like repairs or construction. They even help you build Redstone repeaters and Redstone comparators. Though stones are necessary for building, a stone farm is rather difficult. We need to use a cobblestone generator farm to create stones in Minecraft, but it gets tricky.
Creating a generator includes mixing lava into the water turning lava into Cobblestone. But it’s also possible to generate Stone with it. All that’s required is to switch things up a bit. By placing lava above the water and placing the hopper beneath the water, you can generate stone. Then using a pickaxe with Silk Touch enchantment will mine those sweet stones efficiently.
Even though the process is quite simple, you can still check out BlazeDude’s take on some easy-to-make Stone Farms.
Sugarcane farm is easily one of the most amazing farms in Minecraft. It just does so many things at a very cheap cost. With this Farm, you will easily craft papers and rockets. Paper is used for trading with villagers to get cheap emeralds, or you can craft enchantment books at the enchantment table. Then with a rocket, there are several amazing things you can do in Minecraft. Overall, sugarcane is very useful. And having a Sugarcane farm is not a bad idea.
- When building a Sugarcane farm, you can build as big as you want or as small as you need.
- It has a simple mechanism: plant the sugarcane in any dirt, grass, podzol, or sand block. That block must have water next to it, not higher or lower. Otherwise, the Farm will not work.
- Lastly, you can place some observers and pistons to harvest the crops.
- Then, place some hoopers and a chest where hoppers will collect them from above.
By following these mechanics, you can build almost any type of Sugarcane farm.
If you cannot or don’t want to build the Sugarcane farm for some reason, you can build the Melon Farm. The Melon farm has its own uses, and a Sugarcane farm is better than this one, but the main reason to build a Melon farm is Composting. If you don’t know what Composting is, it’s simply turning edible items into bone meals.
Melon block has a 65% chance of producing a bone meal while its slices have a 50%. But it’s recommended to go with the Slices since it is much more efficient and less material-consuming. Other than Composting, Melons can be used for trading with villagers to get good amounts of Emeralds. These are the basic uses amongst many others.
- Building a melon farm is easier and way simpler than most farms in Minecraft. It is even easier than the Sugarcane Farm.
- The process of growing melons contains a total of three steps.
- The first step is to plant the seeds into the ground. It’s worth noting that Melons don’t need any water to grow, but water increases the growth and production rates.
- The second step is to wait for the plants to grow and build the AFK harvesting mechanisms (you need to build the AFK mechanisms if you are building an AFK farm; otherwise, it is not needed).
- Lastly, once they are grown, you either harvest them yourself or if it is AFK, the melons will go directly into your chest.
You can build the Honey Farm very easily, and it is extremely useful in Minecraft. The Farm collects Honey in Bottles, Honey Blocks, and Honeycombs. Honey, in general, is very useful in Minecraft for treating toxicants. Then the Honey is used to make candles or to wax Copper Blocks. With a Honey Farm, you get Honey Blocks, which have tons of uses in the game. These are just a few benefits you get to have with a Honey Farm, amongst many others.
The Farm works relatively simply, in repeating mechanics.
- First, the Bees collect the pollen from flowers, and then that pollen is turned into Honey.
- Lastly, it’s collected with various methods, and one popular example is the Bottles.
Though, there are some things you can do to make the farm work much more efficiently.
- Firstly by building the Farm in The End or Nether because Bees only work during the day, and in both those realms, it’s always day. So basically, Bees will be working without stopping.
If you want you can also check out NaMiature’s video tutorial on Honey Farm.
There is no denying that wood is one of the most valuable assets in Minecraft. You need wood for basic needs such as crafting or fuel in survival mode from the beginning of the game. With a Tree Farm in Minecraft, worrying about needing wood will become a thing of the past. But when it comes to Tree farming, you have many different options, from simple farms to TNT farms.
The best option available, without any doubt, is the TNT Tree Farm. But for more beginner-level players, it’s best to stick with simpler farms. Since the TNT Tree Farm is one of the most difficult farms to build in Minecraft. The main difference between these farms is the quantity they produce and AFK farming.
Just like wood, iron is crucial in Minecraft. You need Iron for basic crafting to more advanced builds. It is used for creating powerful armor to get you through the mid-game. Then there are also iron Golems created from iron to defend the base. All in all, Iron is handy and is required in large quantities in Minecraft. Iron farming is done in various ways, and all of them are awesome.
Iron Farm in Minecraft requires villagers and a village in order to be created.
- The most simple iron farm includes spawning iron Golems and gathering the iron from them. This is usually done by killing them on the spot or moving them to another place.
- Iron farming is also done with Skeletons or Zombies, but their iron drop rate is considerably lower than Golems. So it’s best to stick with Iron Golems.
Feel free to check out MushoDen’s video tutorial on how to create an Iron Farm.
To reach the end in Minecraft, you will need Blaze powder at one point. And the only source for Blaze powder is from Blaze rods. On top of that, you will need it for brewing. Plus, Blazes have 20 points of health with twice the amount of XP compared to normal Mobs. This makes them ideal for XP farming as well.
The blaze farm is the easiest spawn farm in Minecraft.
- It starts by spawning the Blazes and then moving them into a place. This is done in various ways, depending on how advanced a player is.
- Then there, they are killed to get the drops. Killing is also made differently depending on the farm because not all farms grant XP.
Witch farm has become much easier in the newer version of Minecraft compared to the older ones. So if that is the worry, no more, with a witch farm, you can easily get a lot of different drops. This includes Gunpowder, Glow Stone, Sugar, and also Red Powder. What more would be needed?
Witches are just like any other hostile mob, which is dangerous. On top of that, Witches have more health points, and some have recovering potions. You should build the farm to immediately dispose of the witches upon spawning. Building the farm should be simple, with spawning and killing.
Music Disc Farm
Music Disc farm is one of the most lengthy farms to build in Minecraft, but it’s worth it. The Farm does not do so many things, but the best thing is it grants you music discs to play music in the world of Minecraft. The Minecraft world can be deafeningly quiet, but that can be easily dealt with with the music disc. That said, one of the only guaranteed ways to get the Music Discs is to get a Creeper killed by a Skeleton.
The first problem you will face is to get a Creeper and Skeleton together. Then secondly, it’s almost impossible to get a Creeper killed by a Skeleton. But by building some farms, like the one shown above, you can easily get around it. The Farm contains a spawning platform for the Creeper and traps them in a place. Lastly, it baits the Skeleton with the player or an Iron Golem to hit them.
Minecraft is all about looting valuable items as much as you can to build your base. Many players that do raid villages that can be found in different parts of the Minecraft world.
While raiding in a village might be useful especially when it comes to the pillager raids, it will be much more convenient for you to do so by building a raided farm. After building a raided farm the players will be able to secure an entire pillager raid.
The best part about it is that you could do it from a single area and the rewards can be looted automatically without wasting much of your time.
- The raid farms can be built in a three-by-one area.
- Make sure that it is large enough to hold all the pillagers and will have enough space for you to loot them make sure that you use water source blocks around the farm as well.
- You can then finish the farm off by making a collection area in the water and you are all done.
If players are looking to collect as many slimeballs as possible in Minecraft, then we definitely recommend going for a slime farm.
Slime balls are one of the most important resources in the game and will help you out a lot in different recipes like slime blocks, sticky pistons, magma cream, and leads that will help you leash animals around.
Furthermore, they are relatively easy to build. The only thing that will be tough to find is the iron as you will need around 155 iron bars for the build.
Believe it or not, you can also make your own Lava Farm in Minecraft. For some people, lava could be an easily attainable resource due to their world seed. However, for most people, it can be a tough thing to come by which does at times require a simple Lava farm. It’s also very helpful when you’re playing with a bunch of other players since you’d need an infinite source of Lava.
So how can you make one? Well, it’s quite simple all you need to do is collect a few items first which include a bunch of buckets, a lava pool, cauldrons, and dripstones. By getting all these items (and a few more) you can create a Lava farm right next to your base.
Making the Lava Farm you’ll turn it into a renewable source. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Make an elevated pool made out of stone, filled with lava.
- Add dripstones beneath the stone, after a while you will notice that the Dripstone will start leaking lava drop by drop.
- Place Cauldrons beneath the Dripstone, which will help collect the lava.
- Just like that, you’ll have your infinite source of lava in Minecraft.
On the opposite end of the lava, you can also create a snow farm inside your base. This may seem insignificant and not necessary, but who knows you might end up using snow blocks to further decorate your base in Minecraft. On the other hand, you could also use snowballs to constantly play pranks on your friends.
Nevertheless, building a snow farm is quite easy. All you need is a Snow Golem, hoppers, chests, pistons, and a working redstone system to activate the pistons. To make the snow golem you will first need to place two Snow blocks on top of each other and then place a pumpkin on top. As for the rest, you can follow these steps:
- Place down up to 4 hoppers and connect them to a chest.
- Surround the hoppers with a 2-3 block high wall, and keep the space above the hoppers hollow.
- Make sure that within the walls you also face two pistons facing towards the hopper block.
- Now summon a Snow Golem above the Hoppers and then connect the Hoppers to a Redstone system.
- Activate the system to make the pistons push the Snow golem and yield snowballs which will automatically drop into the hopper and be transferred to the connected chest!
Wither Skeleton Farm
Some farms may feel like a fresh breeze while building, however, other designs like the Wither Skeleton Farm can be an actual nightmare. However, the tough process of building the Wither Skeleton Farm is worth it Minecraft. The reason is that you’ll get a higher chance of acquiring the Wither Skeleton Skull, an abundance of coal, and other mob drops.
The great thing about the Wither Skeleton farm is that it does not only yield drops related to the mob itself. You will also get drops from Blazes and Zombie Pigman. This means the farm will also generate plenty of Gold Ingots, Rotten Flesh, and Blaze Rods. Last but not least, let’s not forget that you’ll get tons of XP as well which is another added bonus of the Wither Skeleton Farm.
As we mentioned earlier, the Wither Skeleton Farm is a little tricky to make, you will need to locate a Nether Fortress situated inside the Soul Sand Valley. On top of that, you will also need a bunch of resources to get things going.
- First things first, you will need to cover the whole Nether Fortress with Slabs (preferably derived from any stone block).
- After that, clear out an open space and make a hollowed cube in the center and summon the Iron Golem inside it.
- Make sure to take out a few blocks in front of the Iron Golem through which the Wither Skeletons can drop through.
- You will then extend the open space and scatter around walls and torches (temporarily) to have some control over the mob spawning.
- Now make a platform way below the drop space you carved up earlier. Place some hoppers connected to the chest at the base beneath the drop hole.
- After some time, the mobs including the Wither Skeletons will begin falling down through the hole and you can kill them easily.
Since the Wither Skeleton Farm is a tough build, we recommend following the thorough video tutorial of Moretingz.
Moving on, we have another Minecraft Farm on our list which can help get you items like Trident and Copper. Copper can be used as an ore and can be used to make plenty of other items such as Spyglasses, copper blocks, and lightning rods. On the other hand, the Trident is one of the Best Ranged Weapons in Minecraft which does tons of damage and has some amazing enchantments like Loyalty and Riptide.
So how can you make a Trident/Copper Farm in Minecraft? Well for starters, you will need hundreds of building blocks as well as a good source of water. You can make the farm inside the Ocean as well, but that’s an even harder task. However, regardless of your positioning, you can capture the Drowned Zombies inside the farm and kill them all at once to extract Copper and possibly obtain Tridents from them.
If you happen to have the Looting Enchantment on the Sword, the chances of getting a Trident will greatly increase in Minecraft. Nonetheless, here are the steps to create your own water body which spawns Drowned.
- Start off from the floor of a river and build a 136-block-high tower from the water level.
- Create a mini landing point here by placing down a few chests with 4 Hoppers on top. Make sure to cover the Hoppers with either a carpet or a slab.
- After you’ve created your extraction base, make another 22-block high tower (around the hoppers). Here make a 10×10 block field.
- Make a water slope leading toward the Hopper drop and fill the whole area with signs.
- Finally, extend the 10×10 base with a 22-block high wall and then it fill it with water.
- After that, go back to your extraction base and wait for the Drowned to drop down on top of the Hoppers.
For your convenience, here’s a link to the tutorial shared by Voltrox.
Not every farm needs to be dangerous and wild. You can tone things down a little and create something more simpler, like the Flower Farm in Minecraft. Flowers are an immensely important resource in Minecraft, mainly due to the fact that they can be used to create dyes and suspicious soups.
Finding flowers can be a little tiresome in Minecraft. However, you can make an automatic system to get unlimited flowers if you happen to find a naturally spawning biome (e.g. Flower Forest). Fortunately, as per Moretingz’s design, you can make a simple yet effective farm that can get you up to 11 Flowers in Minecraft.
Here are some quick pointers on How to make a Flower Farm in Minecraft:
- Create a Redstone system that is capable of pushing multiple pistons simultaneously. You will need solid blocks, along with Redstone, note blocks, an observer, a repeater, and a dispenser.
- On top of the Redstone system, create a 5×6 blocks field and cover two sides of the field with observers, and place pistons on top of them.
- After that fill the area next to the pistons with the grass blocks, although remember to leave a row.
- The system should now be able to push the grass blocks from side to side, which will ultimately take down all the flowers spawned on it.
- To speed up the process, remember to place plenty of bone meals inside the dispenser.
- Activate the system and the piston will automatically extract a bunch of flowers and peg them down toward the chest in a matter of seconds.
You may or may not know this but traveling with a boat on ice is one of the fastest speeds a player can achieve in Minecraft. Yes, that’s right! It’s even faster than horse riding or sprinting. Therefore, if you’re planning to connect different areas in your world, or feel like making paths in the Nether faster, then you can seriously consider making Ice bridges.
Although, to make a bridge you will first need a huge source of Ice which brings us to this farm idea by JC Playz. The Ice Farm can be used by making some simple items, however, it does require a lot of patience. One of the prerequisites for the Ice Farm is to first locate a biome where there is snow (Snowy Tundra or Snowy Plains).
Here are some pointers you need to keep in mind while making the Ice Farm:
- Create a lengthy platform on a snowy biome and connect it to Hoppers and a chest.
- Lay down some rail tracks around the length of the field and then cover it up with an unsupported roof.
- On the top, cover the roof with stairs and then fill it up with water.
- Since you’ll be in a snowy biome, the water will continuously freeze over and over again. Place down a Minecart with Hopper and power it up with the powered rails.
- The Minecart will automatically collect the ice blocks from below and drop them into the hoppers connected to the chest.
AFK Fish Farm
An AFK Fish Farm is one of the easiest, yet the best farms to make in Minecraft. It merely requires a few blocks and is great for getting some valuable loot in the game. In a nutshell, you will need items such as the single plank, note block, chests, hoppers, fence, iron trapdoor, carpet, water bucket, and of course a fishing rod.
NOTE: The AFK Fish Farm only effectively works on PC versions of Minecraft.
In addition to the minor requirement list, the farm only takes up 4 blocks. After following the simple tutorial by Taffy, you can start getting to business right away!
Fishing can get you all sorts of items which range from fish to enchanted books. Here are some quick tips for the Minecraft AFK Fish Farm.
- After building the farm, stand on the chest and aim your Fishing rod between the carpet and the trapdoor.
- After aiming, hold down the right-click button to activate the automatic Fish Farm. After a while, something will get nibbed onto your rod and get transferred to the chest below.
- To initiate the AFK strat, you will need to hold down the right-click button and then press F3 + T. Release the mouse and the keyboard as soon as you see the reload screen.
- Once the game has reloaded your character will be stuck in the animation loop of fishing and will automatically catch items that will get shifted in the chest below.
- You can now sit back and relax, as you take full advantage of the AFK Fish farm without doing a thing.
These are our picks for the Best Minecraft Farms, and they truly are the most useful farms in the game. Having these farms will improve overall gameplay and save time gathering basic materials. These farms will help all the players, Advanced or Newbies. If, by any chance, your favorite Minecraft Farm is not on our list, the comment section is all yours.
Next: Minecraft Castle Ideas
Was this article helpful?
Thanks! Do share your feedback with us. ⚡
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. ✍